SoN: Adjusting to Life

I am now entering the 4th week of what my college calls their nursing program the “School of Nursing,” which is often abbreviated and referred to simply as SoN. So, let’s talk about my experience with the SoN, so far…

The first week was very overwhelming for me. For the first two weeks, it felt like I was playing catch up. I am not used to taking on three classes. In the past, I had taken one to two classes max each semester. Anyway… the first week, my cohort and I were slammed with so many assignments. Luckily, one of my professors is understanding (they all are) and told me that he’ll accept my late assignments and will still give me full points.

The three classes I am required to take for the first semester is pharmacology, health assessment, and role development. By the third week, which was last week, I had my first exam in pharmacology. Now I am preparing for another exam in health assessment for this upcoming Friday. The pressure is on because I have to score a minimum of 80% on every exam. Luckily, I’m still in the game. And let me tell you, nursing school is no joke! I have heard before that nursing school is a whole different type of beast, and it is. It is very challenging, to say the least. I had to change up the way I studied. I no longer have time to make my notes look all pretty because I have to focus my energy on understanding at least five chapters of the material and concepts that my professor emphasized on. I still found a way to make time to make my notes look nice and organized, though. Next exam is covering 13 chapters! Chapters 1-5 are integrated and build upon each other, so it’s more like one big chapter. So really it feels more like I’m studying 6 chapters altogether.

For me, I think the biggest challenge is time management. Luckily, my kids are grown and don’t depend on me as much. Everyone is doing their part to help around the house. But the main rule is to clean up after yourself right away. Everyone knows their chores coz I don’t have time to clean. So, that really helps me out a lot. The only thing that kind of sucks about being so busy is that we can’t eat out or order food all the time because Desi has multiple food allergies. If we do order food, it’s from the same restaurants and we order the same dish for her that we know is safe. But 98% of the time, I have to cook homecooked meals to make sure my baby girl stays safe. On the plus side, it helps us save money and it keeps us healthy.

Now that I no longer feel like I’m drowning, I can breathe again. The first two to three weeks was rough. After my first exam, I feel much better. I just have to stick to the schedule, stick to the routine, and stay focused. I’m afraid if I veer off just a little bit, I will fall behind and I really don’t want that to happen because it seems like it won’t take much to slip and fall behind.

Now it’s time for me to get some sleep so that I can wake up early, study, and work on some assignments that are due by the end of this week. Till next time. Ciao!